Industrial Heritage Online

Industrial Heritage Online

Coal Compartment Boat Hoist

Boat hoist of c1862 developed by W H Bartholomew to transfer coal from canal barge coal compartments into seagoing vessels. The framework of cast-iron girders stands on ashlar abutments and carries weather-boarded cabins and and a turret, each with asphalted roofs. It has a 5-stage tower with a semicircular roofed cabin to the fifth stage surmounted by tapering domed turret. The compartment boats were popularly known as Tom Puddings, hence the local name for the structures is "Tom Pudding Hoists".

The hydraulic hoist, built in 1912 to handle coal from Yorkshire and Nottinghamshire pits, was one of the least-known victims of the collapse of mining which followed the 1984-5 strike. Closed in 1986, it was left to rust until it was rescued by Associated British Ports, English Heritage and local enthusiasts at a cost of £20,000.
The Number Five Compartment Boat Hoist, to give it its official name, was part of a sophisticated system based on Tom Puddings, tub-like barges with a very shallow draught, each of which was lifted, emptied and sent on its way within 10 minutes. The hoist handled up to 3,000,000 tonnes of coal a year.

YAS - Hatcher Card Index. Research funded by the Yorkshire Arts Association 1972.
Hatcher, J. The Industrial Architecture of Yorkshire. Phillimore, 1985, p103.

No previous comments have been made for this entry

Email comments

Key Words :- coal boat hoist tom puddings
Linked Sites :-
Address :- Goole, East Yorkshire, DN14 5SY
Grid Ref :- SE 74268 22851
Co-ordinates :- Lat - 53.696828 , Long - -0.876640
Local Authority :- East Riding of Yorkshire Council
Pre 1974 County :- Yorkshire - West Riding
Site Condition :- Site conserved but not normally open to the public
Site Status :- Listed - Grade II*
Listing No :- 1083214
Site Dates :- c1862 - c1985