Industrial Heritage Online

Industrial Heritage Online

T. G. & J. Jubb

Description:-
Beneath the road and verges.

History:-
Established in 1859, T. G. & J. Jubb were originally manufacturers of lead pipe, but before long came to specialise in the requirements of printers type: "Stereo, Lino, Mono and Typograph Metal Manufacturers, Leads, Clumps, and Furniture". Known to have been on the Jack Lane site by 1860, the Jubb's bought the site in 1874 and rebuilt the Jack Lane frontage in 1892. The company continued in business from this location until the late 1960's when the site was taken over by Fry's Metals, a national concern with interests in supplying (recycled) printers' metal's. Presumed demolished in the 1980's when the Penny Hill centre and surrounding housing areas were redeveloped.

References:-
http://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?resourceIdentifier=2003320_1890200&DISPLAY=FULL http://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?resourceIdentifier=2003320_14959353&DISPLAY=FULL (Photos of parts of the works, 1964)


No previous comments have been made for this entry

Email comments

Key Words :- lead works printing type
Linked Sites :-
Address :- The Oval, Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS10
Grid Ref :- SE 3102 3169
Co-ordinates :- Lat - 53.780620 , Long - -1.530734
Site Condition :- Site redeveloped to industrial / commercial use
Site Status :- Site demolished or no longer extant
Site Dates :- 1859 - c1980