Industrial History Online

Industrial History Online

Former Metropolitan Cattle Market (Caledonian Market)

Record Visibility is - Public

Record Status - Incomplete/Unreviewed Site Record

Showing Record 1 of 1

No Documents, Images or Media files have been added for this site

Add Media

Site ID :- GTL00102
Key Words :-
Linked Sites :-

Address :- Market Rd, London, Greater London, N7
Grid Reference :- TQ 302 847
Grid Co-ordinates :- Easting 530200 m, Northing 184700 m
Lat & Long (WGS84) :- 51.546182 , -0.123739
View Historic Mapping
Site Location :-
Viewing Site :-
Parish or Township :-
Administrative Area :- Islington
Pre 1974 County :- Greater London Council
Site Status :-
Site Condition :-
Site Era :-
Site Dates :- -
Visit By :- -

Contributor :- GLIAS Database - 2 June 2018
Contributors Society :- Greater London Industrial Archaeology Society
Copyright :- cc-by-nc-sa 4.0 © GLIAS Database

Record Status :- Incomplete
Reviewed By :- -


Description and History
Built by Corporation of London 1852-5 in place of Smithfield livestock market to reduce driving of cattle and sheep through streets. Associated slaughterhouses, gut scrapers and other obnoxious industries followed to Belle Isle district immediately to south. GNR and LNWR (via NLR) had cattle stations nearby: Less business than expected because of rapid transport of dead meat by rail, followed by refrigerated imports South part of site along Brewery Rd leased off to industry after 1867, North Rd likewise in late C19th. Diversified as junk market in C20th closed 1939, redeveloped for housing c.1979. Restored central clock tower by James Bunning, Italianate Portland stone, 160 ft high, with turret clock; was originally surrounded by 12-sided building for offices, banks, etc. Cast-iron railings formerly ornamented with bulls' heads. 3 of 4 original pubs for drovers and butchers mark corners of site. An original bullock lsir?? remains, converted in 1870s to workshop behind Nos. 16-24 Brewery Rd - distinctive hipped slate and timber lantern roof on 4-branched cast-iron columns and stone-flagged paving (303846, visible from Market Rd). Private cattle market built 1833-6 off Essex Rd, Islington, had been a commercial failure.

No references provided

Previous Comments:-

"lsir??" needs checking - Chris Grabham
--- the following annotation is from Bob Rust, GLIAS :
Cattle was regularly driven up Market Road from the railway lairage east of Caledonian Road and the poleaxe was still used in the slaughterhouse until it closed. - Robert Mason - 31 May 2022

Note:- these comments have NOT been REVIEWED


Showing Record 1 of 1